Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My Clara Theory - *Warning Series 7 finale plot points may be included*


So far I have stuck to just reviews of Doctor Who episodes. In some reviews I have included some of my notes or thoughts about the mystery of Clara Oswin Oswald, but I have not written anything definitive about my thoughts. There are as many different Clara theories out there as there are Doctor Who fans. Most of them are of course going to be wrong. So I have shied away creating my own theory knowing it will be wrong. Plus it is just fun to read all the other theories and see how other fans think. But now we have only two episodes left in Series 7B and we have been told that we will finally be told the secret behind Clara.

Since it is so close to the end, I have decided that I want to put out my own theory. I know that it will more than likely be wrong, but on the off chance that I stumble across something I want a record of it haha. I am sorry someone else has already come up with a similar idea, I am not trying to take someone else's credit.

So here it is: Clara is connected to The Silence.


After Series 6, we still have not gotten a clear picture of the Silence. Then of course the series ended with us finding out what the oldest question was. Silence will fall when the question is asked. I am going to piggyback on another theory I have heard, and I'm going to say that I believe that the Doctor is behind the Silence. We learn in Let's Kill Hitler that the Silence isn't a race, it is a religious order. It is predicated around "Silence will fall when the question is asked." The story has led us to believe the Silence is working to stop the Doctor in order to keep the question from being asked to save themselves from "the fall." But I believe that they want Silence to fall. Not Silence the religious order, but literally silence as in quiet/absence of sound. They want to make sure that when the question is asked that it does not get answered. Thus leading to the Doctor being behind the formation of the Silence.

How does Clara fit into this? To date in the show, we have seen Clara in three different points in time. All in the right place and right time to meet the Doctor. All three have uttered the phrase "Run you clever boy and remember." I believe that she is a memory device created by the Doctor. Not a "creation", but some how the Doctor was able to use a future version of Clara and spread her through out time. He knowingly did this to intrigue his past self, knowing that he could not pass up the mystery that would be Clara. So he would search her out and find out more and unravel more.

We also know that River was taken by the Silence as a baby. No I am not saying that Clara is River, but they are connected. In The Time of Angels, River makes a joke about learning how to pilot the TARDIS from the best. We are led to believe that she was joking about being taught by the Doctor. What if she wasn't? What if she meant that she had been taught by Clara? In Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS, we see in the opening that the Doctor has begun to teach Clara how to fly the TARDIS. So maybe she does learn and learns well. River, in Let's Kill Hitler, says the line "She taught me how to fly it", and we are led to think of either the TARDIS teaching River in that short time or perhaps Madame Kovarian. But it could have been Clara.



In all I think that Clara is set up by a future incarnation of the Doctor in order to ensure that Silence falls when the question is asked. Clara is the key to making sure that the question does not get answered. We will find out in two weeks when The Name of the Doctor debuts.

Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments below. Let me know if I make any convincing points or if I'm way off base.

No comments:

Post a Comment